Monday, February 13, 2006

I went to a job interview this week for a position at Harlequin Enterprises and I think I blew it. I know I rambled too much, perhaps came across as too intellectual for the position, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t always answer the question that was actually asked. In fact, halfway through some of my answers I realized I had already forgotten what was asked.

I am not good at interviews and even overdosing on coffee prior to this interview didn’t help. Neither did the fact that I had to interview with three people at once. As soon as the interview started I found I was so nervous that I forgot everything I’d ever accomplished. I became pre-occupied with giving everyone enough eye contact and wondering if I had provided enough information. I even worried that I looked too desperate for the job. "Do they like me?" "Why isn't that person smiling very much?" I just couldn't stay focused on selling myself.When the interview was over I really couldn’t tell if I had done well or poorly. All I knew was that I was disappointed in myself for not synching the job and let myself have a good cry over it on the way home.

Along the way I picked up my daughters at their daycare, and as we drove to the house my oldest daughter said, "mom?" She said the word with special emphasis because she had, just two days earlier, decided to call me mom instead of mommy and was still getting used to saying the word.

"Yes, honey?" I asked.

"Did you get the job?" Her kind voice was such a welcome sound after all my self-doubt.

"I don’t know if I got the job," I told her, "but I did my best."

And you know, I guess I did do my best - my honest, rambling, desperate, nervous best. If I don’t get the job I will be very disappointed and may even spend a day imagining a big "L" on my forehead. There could even be some tears. Then, I’ll hear the sweet voices of my daughters and be so thankful, once again, for the amazing job I already do have: being their mom(my). No other job compares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home